KHON KAEN – This morning, seven student activists from Khon Kaen University were released on bail of 7,500 baht from police custody after being charged with violating the National Council for Peace and Order’s (NCPO) ban on political gatherings.

The Dao Din student activists inside Khon Kaen's Provincial Police Station. Photo credit: Jeremy Starn

The Dao Din student activists inside Khon Kaen’s Provincial Police Station. Photo credit: Jeremy Starn

The student activists from the Dao Din group had staged an anti-coup protest at Khon Kaen City’s Democracy Monument on Friday, the first anniversary of the May 22 military coup.

Security forces in plain clothes broke up the student’s peaceful protest and detained seven core Dao Din members, three student bystanders and three observers from the organization Thai Lawyers for Human Rights (TLHR).

All detained were brought to the Sri Patcharin Military Base and later, seven of the student activists were moved for detention to the provincial police station.

In the evening, around 70 people from Khon Kaen and nearby northeastern provinces gathered in front of the police station where they sang songs and lit candles in support of the detained activists.

At around midnight, one student was moved to Srinagarind Hospital after he complained about pain caused by blows to the face and the crotch when the security forces broke up the protest. He was later returned to the police station.

Several attempts to negotiate with police to release the students failed and many supporters spent the night in front of the police station.

On Saturday morning, the seven Dao Din students were released on bail under the condition they would refrain from any further political action. After their release, they sang a song and read a statement. Jatupat Boonpattaraksa, one of the detained students, told The Isaan Record that they were treated well by the police, received water and were allowed to take one smoke break. All seven of them will have to report to the police on June 8.

In Bangkok, 38 students protesters were detained yesterday for 12 hours but were released today without charges.

[gss ids=”2476,2477,2478,2479,2480,2481,2482″ carousel=”fx=carousel”]